Paint Contracting and Estimating
A straightforward, practical guide, aimed at the average painting contractor.
It is not specifically designed for the five to ten million dollar a year contractor, though they could benefit from this book, but is geared more for the small to medium sized painting operation that wants to take things to the next level. It provides a useful, step-by-step approach to becoming a better contractor and estimator, and to winning more bids.
This book is different from some others you may find in that it is not just a bunch of spreadsheets and tables sandwiched between two covers, although many useful production and spread rate examples are provided.
Other topics you will gain insights to include:
- Determining the size and structure of your painting company.
- Sales and marketing strategies.
- How to do takeoffs from job sites and plans.
- Understanding project manuals and what to look for.
- How to read blueprints.
- Putting the Bid together.
- Writing a Proposal, Contract, and Scope of Work.
- Effective project management.
- Dealing successfully with owners, architects, and general contractors.
- Protecting your profits.
- Various resources.
The information in this book is based on over twenty years of experience, lessons learned and detailed record keeping. What it also includes are personal experiences and advice to help you get a handle on how all this “stuff” goes together, what to watch out for and how to get a competitive advantage. Worth far more than the purchase price, are the many tips that I have included that can save you money and much of the frustration that usually accompanies the trial and error learning process. This is what I want to share with you in a way that you can understand easily and help you to improve your business!